Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pride and Contentment

Yes, it's true. 2 posts in one day!  I want to share a couple of thoughts on pride and contentment. Scripture says that God hates pride. When listing the 7 things God hates, pride is actually mentioned twice. So, obviously believers should not take that lightly. God knew we would struggle with pride - it is not a surprise to Him. In a commentary on Psalms in my NIV Study Bible, this is said about pride:

"Pride results from overvaluing ourselves and undervaluing others. It leads to restlessness because it makes us dissatisfied with what we have and concerned about what everyone else is doing." A dear friend used to always say, "comparison kills contentment." How can I focus on what God has for me to do, if I'm looking around at everyone one else wondering why they have it so good. That says, "I deserve better," which actually means, "God, you don't know what You're doing...I need fill in the blank and You're not giving it to me." Pride and discontentment!

In Psalm 131, David says, "Quiet trust in God is the basis for my contentment." He goes on to say, "But I have stilled and quieted my soul..." I love that! David, a king and mighty warrior "stills" and "quiets".  It made me reflect on the busyness of my life. Even if I'm not running around to 150 places, my thoughts are often racing, preventing me from being still and quiet. We need to consciously do that so we can hear God and focus on the right thing.

 I resolved to stop complaining and comparing (it's a work in progress) and even asked for accountability within my family - ouch! My oldest son gently reminded me on Sunday that I was having a spirit of discontent as I was talking about all the changes I wanted to make to our home and property. He recognized that it had gone beyond, "Oh, wouldn't it be nice to do this or that?" to an attitude of, "I can't be happy unless this or that is changed." Thanks son! I needed that.

Be blessed, bless others and live well!
Jeanne

3 comments:

  1. Nice post, Mrs. Drennan! Thanks for sharing it with me on Google+!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I really hate it when others have such insight from God...and then have to share it! :D:D It always makes my head hurt where the 2x4 hit.

    Seriously, you really hit it on the head. (MY head!) I love "comparison kills contentment". Wow! I was just thinking about Joy and how it is really contentment- that is what joy means, yet we think of joy as happy. I think the root word of happy should be contentment as they seem to really go hand in hand!

    Ohhh, the being "quiet and still" one really got me. I was driving home last night contemplating how busy I have been but it is more the "chicken's head cut off" busy than what I wanted. :) It is easy to just keep running and not stop and take a big deep breath and listen!!!

    Thanks for the post. It was very good and had some great encouragement!
    Love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne, you need to tell me how I can follow you and get your updates in my blogger account. Don't you just love having non-tech savvy friends? haha I wanted to send you to my post today so you can hold me accountable. www.jcangus.blogspot.com

    Hope Slick is better!!

    ReplyDelete