Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Letting go...


May 1, 2013


On the first day of every month this year, I have been astounded that it arrived so quickly. Today, May 1st, is no different. The speed at which each new month presents itself is so staggering that I can hardly keep up. In fact, I feel as though I have been tossed from a boat; It is slowing down to let me catch up and I am swimming as fast as I can to reach it, but it eludes me, continually. I am certain that I am not alone in this. 

Why, especially as women, do we find ourselves in this free-fall, this constant state of perpetual "behind-ness"? When I see a friend in a frenzied state, taking on too much, I tell them, "When your plate gets too full, it's not OK to just get a bigger plate so you can pile on more stuff!" So now, as I find myself feeling stressed and burdened, I remember that witty advice... Is it applicable to my current state? I think I have to say, "no, not this time." Although, as a family, we have just finished several commitments, when I look at what is requiring my attention, my plate really isn't too full (my husband may beg to differ). As I contemplated what could be amiss, I realized that some of what I was choosing to take on, may not be the best things for me. Whoa! Light bulb moment!

Is it possible (yes) that we sometimes continue to do things for the simple reason that, we have always done them? We've gotten used to them? This isn't very healthy, that's for sure. I think it is wise for us to re-evaluate our commitments from time to time and weed out what is no longer productive. What are we giving our time to? What is taking away from our children and our spouses? What purpose does it serve? Did it start out being a good and edifying thing, and now it's sucking the life out of you? Maybe it's time to let go of that obligation. When we hold on to things that have served their purpose, they have a tendency to become toxic in our lives. Even if they are "good" things.. holding on to them past their time may be preventing God from blessing us in another way. 

I know there are seasons of catching up, but I don't want that to define me. I would hope to enjoy the blessings the Lord has given me, especially my family. I would hope to be involved in things that help others and bring honor to God. I would hope to be able to be a good steward over what He has given me and to be joyful all the while. Joyful...Hhhhmm.... Are we being joyful as we handle the things on our plate? That may be the deciding factor. Not, "are you happy about what you're doing?" But, rather, "Are you joyful in your journey?" 

As I pray for wisdom and discernment while examining the contents of my plate, I will surely ask whether I can continue a given activity with a godly attitude, a happy heart, as unto the Lord. 

I apologize for the brevity and possible lack of depth in this post. It is because I have had a stomach bug imposed upon me for three days, and I probably should be resting ;)

I pray your plate will be overflowing with joyful blessings from the Lord!

Be well. Live well. Love abundantly.
Jeanne




2 comments:

  1. Oh, Dear Friend, I sure wish I knew someone that's heard you say "when your plate gets too full......". I would put "haha", but I just don't find the chaos right now very funny, so I'm right there with you. I wonder how in the world I allow my life to get out of control, too. Then, I remember that I know longer have just one life to consider - I have 6+, and that does make a difference. I still love it when I get things on my plate that I can handle, but unfortunately, I know it will be followed by overwhelming days as well. That's OK because I have learned to "circle the wagons", as my husband loves to call it. When we reach that point, we do whatever it takes to get to the point where we can "pause" activities and circle the wagons until our relationships are back on the right track. Relationships are where I feel the chaos the most, and you know how I feel about my relationships. We are looking forward to our May/June because we are "circling the wagons" (even though we do still have a few things in there, we have canceled as many things as we possibly could and will be working on getting our life and home back on track). I will be praying for you to stay joyful and get things back on track in your own life as well as getting over this bug you've got. Hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much sweet friend! What a splendid idea to circle the wagons... you ranch folk always have the cutest sayings ;) I think we will be able to "gather the troops" mid-June ish for a bit. Definitely something to look forward to...I can already hear the exhale. Aaaahhh....
    Hugs to you too!!

    ReplyDelete